Career Advancement Working Group
The Career Advancement Working Group consists of job centers, work source centers, HR professionals, veteran employment training programs, corporations, VA vocational rehab representatives and individuals looking to hire veterans. This working group has sought to educate employers, develop best practices for service providers and work to identify veterans in need of meaningful employment.
Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA Metro)
Dennis Tucker is the Veterans Program Manager at the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA METRO). He has a background in business resource management, advocacy, and cross-sector collaboration. Tucker honorably served in the United States Army for 22 years.
- Employer Survey: Developed and conducted an employer survey that aimed to identify needs of employers that could inform better intervention strategies to fill gaps between service providers and veterans.
- Resource List: Identified and compiled a comprehensive list of employment resources within active working group members. This list established each organization, the number of veterans served, their geographical location, and the type of services provided to them.
- Employment Resource Factsheet: Created a factsheet that provides veterans in Los Angeles County with key information to find the correct employment resource for their skillset, education level and experience.
A goal sheet is a record of each working group’s various goals and ongoing projects.
Career Advancement’s overall goal is to use findings from the Los Angeles County Veterans Study to solve employment-related issues such as:
- Improving the image of veteran talent among employers,
- Providing veterans with access to career assistance services, and
- Identifying veteran talent residing in and transitioning to LA.